The European Union and its Member States generally acknowledge the positive value of international migration when it takes place in a regulated and predictable manner. They are alarmed, however, by irregular migratory movements. Indeed, in the face of the perceived threat posed by this phenomenon, States have introduced a series of measures to deter or prevent migrants from gaining unauthorised entry into their territories. The blanket enforcement of such measures makes it increasingly difficult for refugees and asylum-seekers to secure access to international protection. With this concern in mind, UNHCR must stress that the Action Plan contained in the Commission Communication on a Common Policy on Illegal Immigration and subsequently adopted by the Member States strike a proper balance between migration control priorities and refugee protection imperatives.
The document contains:
- Irregular Migration and Refugee Protection: An Overview
- Community Measures and Actions
- Visa Policy
- Information Exchange and Analysis
- Pre-Frontier Measures: Posting abroad of immigration and airline liaison officers, Financial and technical assistance to third countries, Awareness-raising campaigns
- Measure relating to Border Management: Border management in a common area, Controls at sea borders, Common curriculum and training
- Readmission and Return Policy: Return policy, Re-admission agreements
- Penalties: Smuggling of human beings, Trafficking in human beings, Illegal employment, Carrier liability
You can download this 19 page PDF resource above. This resource is in English.